Greek & Persian Wars
The Oath of Marathon (490 B. C.)
This investigation is under construction.
Materials & Activities
Text: The Oath of Marathon | DOWNLOAD PDF
Images: Ancient Greek soldiers
Text: Herodotus, The Histories, “The battle of Marathon” (Book VI, 6.112 – 6.116)
For more Materials and Activities, click View More in the dark purple tab above.
Writing Prompt: Greek Soldier Journal #1
- “The Persians discuss three forms of government”
- Darius cylinder seal image
- LIFE article on Darius
- “Beginnings of the Ionian Revolt”
- “Aristagoras gains the help of the Athenians”
- “The burning of Sardis”
- “Darius resolves revenge”
- Oath of Marathon
- Ancient Greek soldiers images
- “The battle of Marathon”
The Oath of Marathon: Peter M. Krentz, “The Oath of Marathon, not Plataia?” Hesperia: The Journal of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens 76:4 (Oct. – Dec. 2007), pp. 731-742. | VIEW PDF at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens (see the Greek and English text on pp. 733-734, “The Acharnoi Oath”).