Our investigations originate in collaboration with teachers during focused classroom residencies. We assist our collaborating teachers in their classrooms for a week or so to a month or more. During this time, we:
- research primary materials that are relevant to curriculum standards
- provide customized CE professional development
- share curriculum planning and teaching responsibilities
- engage in conversation and reflection after each class session
- archive and analyze class discussions and student writing and drawing
In these and other ways, we work to increase the amount and enhance the quality of time the teacher can spend:
- engaging students with the materials and each other’s ideas
- listening to students and helping them build on their own work
- allowing student observations, questions, and ideas to shape each activity
- deepening students’ knowledge of the content
Together, we design a responsive curriculum that helps the students’ understandings grow.
Drawing on these experiences, we create resources that will help other teachers cultivate their own students’ thinking. We make these teacher resources available through Critical Explorers workshops and through our Teaching & Curriculum Sourcebook series.
To learn more about participating in a classroom residency, please contact us.